I´m fairly picky with my soups, but when a recipe comes along that tastes incredible and has the right consistency, I´m a huge fan. This is my take on Roasted Tomato and Mascarpone Soup. A simple Parmesan crouton adds style and additional flavour to each serving.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 2 kg vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.75 litres vegetable stock
- 375 g mascarpone cheese
- 50 g Parmesan, grated
- Heat the oven to 200 °C
- Slice the tomatoes in half (horizontally) then place on a baking sheet, spritz with olive oil and season well.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, stir in the onions, garlic, paprika and cumin and fry for 7 – 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Blitz the mix with a hand-held blender (or transfer to a stand-alone food processor, if preferred, and blitz) until smooth.
- Add the mascarpone and stir well. Heat gently, stirring continuously, until the mascarpone has melted. There may be a few mascarpone lumps, so try to remove these with a slotted spoon.
- To make the croutons, grate the Parmesan, line an oven tray with grease-proof paper and create small piles of Parmesan. Season them well with pepper and pop the tray into the oven for 5 – 10 minutes, until the Parmesan starts to brown. The croutons are now ready!
- Serve the soup topped with a crouton.
If you like this Roasted Tomato and Mascarpone Soup with Parmesan Crouton dish, why not take a look at my gazpacho recipe?