Summer is with us – time for “Strawberries and Cava”!
There is truly nothing more delicious on a sweltering hot summer day than this combination of flavours. To bring out the true strawberry taste, I made a quick and simple syrup mix in which to soak the fruit beforehand.
- equal parts fresh water and white granulated sugar. I chose roughly half a cup of each, but it made far too much. It is good, though, to have enough syrup to cover the strawberries.
- Pour the water and sugar into a small pan and heat slowly, until simmering.
- Stir constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved in the water, then remove from the heat and allow the syrup to cool completely.
- In the meantime, cut the tops off of the strawberries and discard. Cut each strawberry into four. Place the pieces in a bowl large enough to contain them and the syrup. When the syrup has cooled, pour over the strawberries, mix well and allow the syrup to infuse for at least half an hour at room temperature.
- Serve with a decent amount of syrup and a glass of something chilled (cava, prosecco, champagne or whatever happens to be your favourite summer drink).
Aaaah! The fresh, natural taste of summer!
If you like this simple snack, take a look at my tapas article, Spanish Tapas.